Saturday 6 January 2018

City of Romance and some glasses cases

Happy New Year, everyone! First blog post of 2018, woohoo! :) Issue 327 of Cross Stitcher has just come out and lookee what`s on the cover: the Emma Congdon design I stitched a few months ago.


I loved stitching this City of Romance: loved the theme, the colours, the blocky stitching, the lack of backstitch, everything. You know that feeling when you enjoy a project so much that even when it`s finished and you`re already working on something else, you still have flashbacks of yourself stitching this one, and the memory makes you smile? That. ;)

10 hours

20 hours

30 hours

40 hours

50 hours

60 hours

70 hours

83 hours - finished! :)

Now that Christmas is over and my parents have received their presents, I can also show you the 3 glasses cases I`d made for them. My mom got 2 with bears (one for distance, one for reading. Glasses, not bears) and for my stepdad, I stitched a manly Spitfire:




I also ordered 3 pairs of those springy metal things that you sew in the top of glasses cases so that the glasses won`t just fall out - but uncharacteristically for me, I guess I never read the Ebay ad properly because a few weeks later, 3 lots of FIVE turned up from Hong Kong, so as soon as I have time, I might go into mass production of glasses cases. (It might be a while though. I had my work cut out with these three, if I`m honest). But I`m quite proud of the end result and what`s more important, my parents were very happy with them too:


And I`m especially chuffed with the spring action, as demonstrated here by my little hand:


Thanks for scrolling down all the way here, happy stitching! :)

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the Front Cover publication - it's beautiful! I had to stop myself thinking, "Hmmm, it would look even more detailed with the backstitching... No wait... that would be waaay too much backstitching!" And you had time to make presents - impressive! I really like the Spitfire - the way it stands out on the fabric... very realistic. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katya! 😊 That was one of the best parts of the Christmas preparations, going through all my old magazines, browsing for suitable designs that could go on these glasses cases. The Spitfire was on a special request birthday card by Debra Page, I just omitted the Happy 50th Birthday, Son! part - and it really does pop on the navy blue fabric, doesn`t it? Haha, I think if I had had to do backstitch around every individual window and building in that pic, I`d still be lying under the bed, curled up in a ball and weeping! 😂

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love the Emma Congdon design - the colours are so pretty. I'm amazed at the speed you stitch, Laura, that would have taken me forever. The glasses cases are wonderful too, no wonder your parents were happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Rhona! 😊 They worked out just right because only the day before, my stepdad was showing me how tatty his old glasses case was getting, asking me to fix the frayed top for him - but after Christmas Day, all frays were forgotten! 🤣

      Delete