Monday 1 May 2017

coastal scene and psychedelic hippo

Last Friday the latest issue (318) of Cross Stitcher hit the UK shops and it has the beautiful coastal scene on the cover that I stitched a few months ago.


It`s a Maria Diaz design at its best: patches of colour that make it easier to break the whole down to manageable areas, `daily bits` that help the project grow so much faster. The flowers in the foreground (1 day), the sea (2 days), the cliffs with the lighthouse (1 day), the beach and the harbour with the little houses (2 days) - and then, instead of spending another day or two backstitching... hardly any BS to add because it`s more like a watercolour painting! 😍
Fair enough, it took me a month to finish it, but only because I had the flu for 3 weeks in the meantime - fact is, it can be stitched in a week (if you need an urgent last-minute present for someone) because it`s one of those projects that you can`t put down, you know the type I mean? I think every stitcher is familiar with the concept of `I`ll just finish this little bit here and then I`m off to bed` and then you stay up till 2 a.m. 😂


The above-mentioned flu made me rethink a few things and I realised that the only time I have for myself is time I spend sick in bed, unable to do anything anyway - not exactly quality me-time. 😩 So I`ve slowed down a bit and now I can make room for other stuff too, e.g. I picked up knitting again and finished the little psychedelic hippo I started months and months ago. I named her Lucy after Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, and put her in my Etsy shop for someone to fall in love with. 😁 I also dug out my Personal Stitching but I can`t show any pics of it yet, it was supposed to be my parents` Christmas present in 2016 but hopefully, they`ll get it this year. Happy stitching, folks!



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful seaside scene, and you say it took you only one week to finish it? Wow, you are a super fast stitcher! I would be plucking away for two weeks, maybe more.
    I think I am falling in love with Lucy. I also remember Gloria - she was absolutely adorable, somehow she reminded me of Dawn French (don't ask why, I don't know). I hope to see more of your personal projects here soon.
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww I love your stitching so much ..it is so cute
    Lucy is super sweet
    My heart is happy :)
    Love and hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I love your stitching so much ..it is so sweet..
    Lucy is so cute ..my heart is smiling
    Love you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies, I`m glad you like Lucy - I fell in love with the yarn and wanted to make something with it. 😊
    Under normal circumstances, a 64-hour project would take me 2-3 weeks too - I guess that`s why the magazines also started to give the stitching time in hours and not weeks because `a stitchy day` can mean different things to everyone: some people are glad if they can find half an hour in a day and others, like me, are lucky enough to be able to spend 10+ hours on a project every day if they want to. Lucky or crazy, rofl. And I`m glad you still remember Gloria - haha, I wonder if it was her figure that reminded you of Dawn French? 😉 xx

    ReplyDelete